I'm highly sceptical of what is often presented under the banner of "brain training". That said, a lot of people are interested in the topic, and it seems to be to be a bit distinct from "training" in general. I.e., it typical involves doing basic exercises with the aim of developing some domain general ability. In contrast I associate "training" with actual training of skills, such as workplace training or training in sports where people practice skills with the aim of developing those actual skills.
Thus, I was hoping I could add a "brain-training" tag so that all such questions would be better linked. What do people think?
I'd also think that the tag description would include a suitably critical view on the merits of brain training.
Questions under the brain training tag would include:
- Is consistent dual n-back training likely to improve the performance of analysis (mathematics) students?
- What does Lumosity's Flexibility measure?
- How valid is Lumosity's Brain Performance Index and what normative information is available?
- Training for the corpus callosum?
- Does the "use it or loose it" principle apply to the brain?
- Does cognitive training enhance dopamine release?