I think this raises a few points that there are several proposals on meta where to various degrees questions would be relevant to our site. In some cases, it seems like every question on the proposal would be relevant to our site. In other cases, it might only be a subset of the questions.
- Sleep: It seems like every sample question would be on topic on this site.
- Human Sexuality: The science questions would be on topic, but there are plenty of other questions that would not be on topic. I categorised each upvoted question in the proposal here.
- Neuroinformatics: Some of the sample questions are a little different to the typical ones on this site, but all would be on topic here.
- Neuroscience: The site proposal seems to focus on non-behavioural neuroscience. I think all questions would be on topic on cogsci, eventhough our focus has traditionally been more on the behavioural end of neuroscience.
- Mental Fitness formerly known as "Mind". This proposal is in the "life" category. Pretty much all sample questions could be asked in a way that is acceptable to cogsci. Perhaps the main types of questions that wouldn't be on topic on cogsci are of the "self-help form" (i.e., "here's my detailed circumstances, can you help me?")
It would be nice if some of these communities felt energised to ask their questions on cogsci.
I wonder whether it would be useful to take a few of the sample questions and ask them here, and if they get a useful answer to post them back as evidence of their relevance to this site. That said, I'm not entirely sure of the etiquette about this.